Labels on e-cigarettes and vapor products in Washington state would warn of the harmful effects of nicotine and to keep the product away from children.
OLYMPIA — The Legislature has passed a bill that would create a number of regulations for companies selling vapor products, such as requiring labels both to warn of the harmful effects of nicotine and to keep the product away from children.
Senate Bill 6328 was approved by the House on a 74-20 vote Tuesday, and will head to the desk of Gov. Jay Inslee. The bill defines vapor products to include e-cigarettes and other vaping devices, as well as the nicotine solutions that go into the device.
If signed by the governor, sellers of vapor products would have to be licensed through the state Liquor and Cannabis Board, and vaping would be banned from places such as child care facilities and schools.
Vapor products currently can’t be sold to people under 18, but the industry is largely unregulated statewide.
Most Read Stories
- Submarines dismantled in Puget Sound are symbols of nation’s defense dilemma | Jon Talton
- Spike Lee posts, then deletes photo thanking Seahawks' Pete Carroll for signing Colin Kaepernick
- Democrats are supposed to be fighting back, but they just keep losing | Danny Westneat
- Seattle Zestimates are off by $40,000; now hundreds of data crunchers vie to improve Zillow’s model
- Swedish double-booked its surgeries, and the patients didn't know | Quantity of Care
E-cigarettes have become a $2.2 billion industry and use is climbing exponentially among adults and teens, according to federal statistics.
Nearly 13 percent of U.S. adults have tried e-cigarettes at least once and nearly 4 percent are regular users, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found. Among high-school students, current use nearly tripled between 2013 and 2014, to more than 13 percent of the teens, the agency reported.
Burn and trauma experts at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle have said say they have treated a few people since fall for gruesome injuries caused by exploding e-cigarettes.