The Seattle City Attorney’s Office has filed a charge of resisting arrest against fugitive sex offender Michael Sean Stanley.
The charge filed Monday stems from the same Oct. 22 incident that resulted in Stanley being charged last month with harassment. Both charges are misdemeanors.
If Stanley is convicted of the new charge, it could add 90 days to the possible sentence of 364 days he faces if he’s also found guilty of harassment, according to the Seattle City Attorney’s Office. His next court hearing is scheduled for Nov. 18.
Stanley remains in the King County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.
- Ivar's to raise restaurant workers' wages to $15 right away
- WSU study: 'Exploding head syndrome' more common than once thought
- Opening day roster looks pretty clear after Sunday cuts
- A mom's tweet about Oreos in school stirs up culture wars
- 3 places off the beaten track in Hawaii
Most Read Stories
Stanley, 48, was arrested after Seattle police responded to a report of a man yelling in a West Seattle alley early in the morning of Oct. 22. A neighbor told officers that Stanley threatened him after he asked Stanley to quiet down, according to a police report.
Officers said Stanley was belligerent and “actively resisted” their commands, according to a police report. After his arrest, officers confiscated a small lock-blade knife, a flashlight, a screwdriver and pliers from Stanley, according to the report.
After Stanley’s arrest, police said he also had been involved in the sexual assault of a 16-year-old boy that same morning.
Police say Stanley met the teen at a Safeway store, struck up a conversation with him and then lured the boy into an alley. Stanley allegedly gave the teen alcohol before grabbing and sexually assaulting him, police said.
The boy told police he escaped after pulling a knife.
The King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office said Monday it is still reviewing the police report from the alleged sexual assault to determine whether charges are warranted.
Stanley, a U.S. citizen, has an extensive history of sexual assaults and other crimes in Canada. On Oct. 1, while he was under supervision after his release after 32 months in prison for kidnapping two boys from a school playground, Stanley cut off an electronic monitoring bracelet in Edmonton, Alberta, and fled.
Edmonton police issued a warrant for his arrest, and Canadian law-enforcement officials said U.S. Customs and Border Protection was notified that Stanley might be attempting to enter the United States.
Stanley entered the United States legally at the Blaine border crossing Oct. 7. U.S. Customs officials have said they could not arrest Stanley on the Canadian warrant, which could not be served in the United States.
After Stanley crossed the border, Canada said that it would not seek Stanley’s extradition for cutting off his GPS monitor and fleeing the country.
After Seattle law enforcement learned Stanley had moved to the city, he was ordered to register with the King County Sheriff’s Office as a sex offender.
Information from Seattle Times archives is included in this report.