Share story

A fugitive sex offender from Canada accused of sexually assaulting a teenage boy in a West Seattle alley last fall will not be prosecuted in felony court.

On Friday, the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office said the case will not be charged.

Michael Sean Stanley, 48, was accused of luring a 16-year-old boy into a West Seattle alley. Stanley allegedly gave the boy alcohol before grabbing and sexually assaulting him, according to police.

The teenager pulled a knife on Stanley, ran to another location and called for help, police said.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

But on Friday afternoon, with jail inmate Stanley just days away from being freed, the prosecutor’s office announced its decision.

“Attempts to prove the case through forensic science were unsuccessful,” said Dan Donohoe, spokesman for Prosecutor Dan Satterberg. “There were multiple inconsistencies … there was insufficient evidence to prove a forcible sexual assault occurred.”

Stanley is slated to be released from the King County Jail on Monday. He has been serving time for misdemeanor harassment and resisting arrest.

The teenage boy and his family are aware that Stanley will not be charged in felony court, Donohoe said.

Stanley has an extensive history of assaults and other crimes in Canada. On Oct. 1, while under community supervision after 32 months in prison for kidnapping two boys from a school playground, Stanley cut off an electronic monitoring bracelet in Edmonton, Alberta, and fled.

Edmonton police issued a warrant for his arrest, and Canadian law-enforcement officials said U.S. Customs and Border Protection were notified that Stanley might be attempting to enter the United States.

Stanley, a U.S. citizen, entered legally at the Blaine border crossing Oct. 7. U.S. Customs officials have said they could not arrest Stanley on the Canadian warrant, which could not be served in the United States.

Canada said it would not seek his extradition.

When law enforcement learned that Stanley had moved to Seattle, he was ordered to register with the King County Sheriff’s Office as a sex offender. He did so just days before his arrest in West Seattle.

In January, Stanley pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charges and was sentenced to 364 days in jail — but with 154 days suspended, credit for time served and earned “good time,” he has served his full sentence.

Stanley was arrested after Seattle police responded to a report of a man yelling in a West Seattle alley early on Oct. 22. One neighbor said Stanley threatened him after he asked Stanley to quiet down, according to a police report.

Officers arrived in the alley near the 2400 block of 44th Avenue Southwest to find Stanley, shirtless and extremely intoxicated, crawling out of a trash bin, the report said. Officers say he was belligerent and “actively resisted,” refusing to comply with their commands.

After he was in custody, officers confiscated a small lock-blade knife, a flashlight, a screwdriver and pliers, according to a police report.

Information from Seattle Times archives is included in this report.

Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or On Twitter @SeattleSullivan

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.