Share story

SPOKANE — Kenan Adams-Kinard, the second teenage suspect sought by police in connection with the killing of an 88-year-old World War II veteran, was arrested early Monday.

Delbert Belton, who was wounded in the battle for Okinawa, was fatally beaten last week in his vehicle as he waited for a friend in the parking lot of an Eagles Lodge in north Spokane.

Spokane police said that after receiving a tip they found Adams-Kinard, 16, in a basement apartment just after 3 a.m. and took him into custody without incident. Adams-Kinard was arrested on a warrant for first-degree murder and first-degree robbery.

Demetrius Glenn, the other 16-year-old boy, who turned himself in Thursday night in connection with the case, was ordered held on $2 million bail and will be tried as an adult. He made an initial court appearance Monday afternoon.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

In a news conference Monday morning, Spokane Police Chief Frank Straub lauded the work of investigators in quickly tracking down Adams-Kinard and Glenn. He said preventing these incidents in the future will require collaboration between citizen groups and the police.

“This is not a law-enforcement issue, this is a community issue,” Straub said. Adams-Kinard’s family and members of area churches encouraged the teen to turn himself in, Straub added.

Straub stressed Monday that robbery was the motivation behind the attack.

“There is no gang activity associated with this incident,” he said.

Belton’s wallet and other items were taken, Straub said. Investigators believe the boys targeted Belton randomly as he sat in his car and waited for a friend.

Straub said it appeared that Belton fought back against his attackers, and that may have contributed to the severity of the beating he received.

Nevertheless, “I encourage people to fight back” when attacked, Straub said.

In addition to the two homicide suspects, three juveniles who police think helped Adams-Kinard elude police for several days also have been arrested on felony charges of rendering criminal assistance, police said. The juveniles were friends of Adams-Kinard’s, Straub said.

Both Glenn and Adams-Kinard had prior arrests and convictions on their records, Straub said. Adams-Kinard was serving six months’ probation and sentenced to 30 hours of community service stemming from a fourth-degree assault and third-degree robbery conviction in June, according to court records.

Belton was born and raised in Spokane. He survived being shot in the leg in 1945 at Okinawa, one of the fiercest battles of the war, and went on to spend 33 years working for Kaiser Aluminum before retiring in 1982.

Belton was called Shorty by his friends because he was little more than 5 feet tall, his niece Pam Hansen said.

She believes he was targeted because of his age and size.

Material from The Spokesman-Review and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.