Share story

EVERETT — New details emerged Friday about the Seattle police detective arrested for investigation of identity theft, including allegations he posted sexually explicit photographs on a phony Facebook page to “ruin” the life of a woman who had sought to end an extramarital affair with him.

Some of the photographs were taken by the detective, David N. Blackmer, who lives in Snohomish County, while he and the 31-year-old Auburn woman were engaged in sexual activity, according to probable-cause documents filed in Everett District Court.

Relatives of the woman, including her mother and underage children, her friends and people in her church saw the photos on the page made to look like the woman’s, she told Seattle police in a detailed account laid out in the documents.

All expressed shock and displeasure, the woman told police, leaving her feeling what she described as “degraded.”

This week, save 90% on digital access.

As she recounted how she had been affected, she began to cry and sob, saying she felt “violated and harassed,” according to the Seattle police detective who took her statement. She was identified in court documents only by initials.

The court documents also disclosed that a photograph of an official document had been posted on the Facebook account, relating to the woman’s custody hearings with her recent ex-husband regarding one of her children.

Investigators believed whoever posted the document, which contained information normally not made public, had an original copy from the court typically reserved for law-enforcement purposes only.

Blackmer, when questioned by Seattle police after his arrest on Thursday, said he controlled the Facebook account and posted pictures to get back at the woman for confronting him at his home, according to the documents.

Snohomish County prosecutors are weighing whether to bring formal charges against Blackmer, 43, who was booked into the Snohomish County Jail for investigation of second-degree identity theft, a felony.

The allegation included additional circumstances of domestic violence and cyberstalking.

An Everett District Court judge on Friday afternoon allowed Blackmer’s release without bail. An attorney for Blackmer told the judge Blackmer planned to voluntarily leave Friday night for a 30-day treatment program in Florida.

Blackmer, a 17-year veteran of the Seattle Police Department, has surrendered his badge and gun and was placed on paid administrative leave. If he is charged with a felony, he will be placed on unpaid administrative leave, according to Seattle police.

Blackmer and the woman began a sexual relationship in December after meeting on an Internet dating website, according to the documents. Their relationship included the taking of sexually explicit photographs and videos, the documents say.

On July 11 or 12 she told Blackmer she wanted to end the relationship when the two met at her residence, according to the documents.

On July 17, she went to Blackmer’s home in unincorporated Snohomish County to tell his wife about their affair, the documents say. While there, the woman told Seattle police, she argued with Blackmer, who grabbed her by the neck and pushed her to the ground, the documents say.

The woman also had a conversation with Blackmer’s wife about the affair, then walked back to her car, according to the documents.

As she did so, Blackmer told her he would “ruin her life,” “get back at her” and that “she was going to be sorry,” according to the documents.

Within hours of the confrontation she noticed the explicit photos on the phony Facebook page, along with “sexy” pictures she had provided to Blackmer at his request, the documents say.

As she continued to monitor the page, she found photographs showing her with friends, her daughters and her dog, according to the documents.

Later that day, the woman contacted the Seattle Police Department’s Office of Professional Accountability (OPA) in person. OPA investigators turned the case over to detectives because of the criminal nature of the allegations.

Investigators discovered additional photographs had been posted, with derogatory wording that could be viewed as an effort to embarrass and harass the woman, according to the documents.

On Tuesday, more information was added to the page, including two of her email addresses, her cellphone number and her home address, the documents say.

As a result, the woman told police she was terrified to return home with her children and will not return there.

Facebook closed the phony page on Thursday, according to the documents.

As part of the investigation, detectives were continuing to examine whether the woman was assaulted.

At Friday’s court hearing, Blackmer was represented by Seattle attorney Ryan D. Wood, who said he was asked to appear by an organization, Safe Call Now, that provides confidential services for public-safety employees. He said he hasn’t been formally retained to continue representing Blackmer but hopes to do so.

Although the Florida treatment center, Treasure Coast Recovery, bills itself as providing alcohol and drug treatment, Wood said he was not aware of any substance -abuse on Blackmer’s part.

Steve Miletich: 206-464-3302 or On Twitter

Seattle Times news researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this report.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.