The principal at a Seattle language immersion school has been named Washington's elementary principal of the year.
The principal at a Seattle language immersion school has been named Washington’s elementary principal of the year.
Kelly Aramaki learned of the honor at a surprise school assembly on Monday morning.
Since 2011, Aramaki has been principal at Beacon Hill International School, a high poverty school where most students come from immigrant families. Nearly a third speak English as their second language.
The Elementary School Principals Association of Washington praised Aramaki for his focus on instructional leadership and collaboration with teachers. He prioritizes communication with parents. And is known for singing at school.
- Nathan Hale High School juniors boycott state test
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- 100 drug arrests kick off new push against downtown crime
- Ditching Dreamliners: United buys older, cheaper planes
- Seahawks' toughness is not for everyone
Most Read Stories
In 2010, he earned the prestigious Milken Family Foundation Award.
He will be honored this fall in Washington D.C., along with principals from around the country.