More than a week after fugitive sex offender Michael Sean Stanley was arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a 16-year-old boy in West Seattle, there’s no indication when criminal charges will be filed in the case.
There appears to be no rush to charge Stanley, a 48-year-old U.S. citizen convicted of sex crimes in Canada, since he’s being held in King County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail on a misdemeanor harassment charge stemming from an Oct. 22 incident the same day as the alleged assault.
“We are taking our time,” Seattle police spokesman Mark Jamieson said Thursday of the assault investigation.
Dan Donohoe, spokesman for the King County Prosecutor’s Office, said his office received the sexual-assault case from Seattle police late Thursday. However, it’s unclear when, or if, charges could be filed.
- After embarrassment, Seattle finds public toilet that's just right
- NFL.com says Seahawks have most talented roster in league, and speculate on starting lineup
- Seattle's best restaurants? Classics revisited
- Capitol Hill light-rail station nearly ready for trains to rumble
- Kyle Seager saves Mariners, 7-6, in 10 innings
Most Read Stories
In the meantime, the 16-year-old alleged victim was held at the King County Youth Services Center for 24 hours on an “at-risk youth petition” after Stanley’s arrest, authorities said. The teen is a runaway from South King County and homeless, according to police.
Stanley’s Oct. 22 arrest came shortly after police responded to a report of a man yelling in a West Seattle alley. A neighbor told officers that Stanley threatened him after he asked Stanley to quiet down, according to a police report.
Officers said Stanley was belligerent and “actively resisted” their commands, according to a police report. They confiscated a small lock-blade knife, a flashlight, a screwdriver and pliers from Stanley, according to the report.
After Stanley’s arrest, police said he had also been involved in the sexual assault of the teenager.
Police say Stanley met the teen at a Safeway store, struck up a conversation with him and then lured the boy into an alley.
Stanley allegedly gave the teen alcohol before grabbing and sexually assaulting him, police said.
The boy told police he escaped after pulling a knife on the man who assaulted him.
Seattle Municipal Court Judge Karen Donohue, who set the high bail amount, ordered Stanley to stay away from the alleged victim in the harassment case if he’s released from custody. The City Attorney’s Office argued in court that Stanley is a flight risk and danger to the community.
Stanley, who has an extensive history of sexual assaults and other crimes in Canada, ended up in Seattle last month after making news north of the border.
On Oct. 1, he cut off an electronic monitoring bracelet in Edmonton, Alberta, where he had been under supervision after his release after 32 months in prison for kidnapping two boys from a school playground.
Edmonton police issued a warrant for his arrest, and Canadian law-enforcement officials said U.S. Customs and Border Protection were notified that Stanley might be attempting to enter the United States.
Stanley entered the United States legally at the Blaine border crossing Oct. 7.
U.S. Customs officials have said they could not arrest Stanley on the Canadian warrant, which could not be served in the United States.
After Stanley crossed the border, Canada said that it would not seek Stanley’s extradition for cutting off his GPS monitor and fleeing the country.
Officials in Edmonton did not return calls for comment on Thursday.
When local law enforcement learned Stanley had moved to Seattle, he was ordered to register with the King County Sheriff’s Office as a sex offender, which he did on Oct. 18.
Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or email@example.com. On Twitter @SeattleSullivan
Information from Seattle Times archives is included in this report.