A 64-year-old SeaTac man was taken to Harborview Medical Center with critical injuries Sunday after being hurt by exploding homemade fireworks, according to the King County Sheriff's Office.
A 64-year-old SeaTac man was taken to Harborview Medical Center with critical injuries Sunday after being hurt by exploding homemade fireworks, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office.
A 52-year-old man who lived in the same house as the injured man had built a homemade “aerial device” by tying together a bundle of sparklers, then put it inside a concrete cinder block to brace it, sheriff’s deputies said.
But the homemade rocket “exploded in place, sending pieces of the concrete block in all directions,” according to the Sheriff’s Office. The injured man, who was standing about 15 to 20 feet away, was hit in the head by a chunk of the concrete block. His injury was life-threatening, the Sheriff’s Office said.
Pieces of the block dented the door of a nearby car and broke a car window.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Thursday notes: Seahawks escape suspension binge, NFL.com ranks Carroll, and more
Most Read Stories
The two men and the victim’s adult daughter all live at the home where the fireworks occurred, in the 2800 block of South 138th Street.