SNOQUALMIE PASS — The King County Sheriff’s Office says a backcountry skier has been injured in an avalanche near Snoqualmie Pass.
Initial reports suggested the skier may have suffered two broken legs.
Search-and-rescue crews arrived at the skier’s location Sunday afternoon. Authorities told KOMO-TV that the rescue effort could take all night.
Weather conditions have made a helicopter rescue impossible, the sheriff’s office said.
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
The avalanche was reported near Alpental, which includes expert backcountry terrain and is part of The Summit at Snoqualmie, a ski area east of Seattle.