SNOQUALMIE PASS — The King County Sheriff’s Office says a backcountry skier has been injured in an avalanche near Snoqualmie Pass.
Initial reports suggested the skier may have suffered two broken legs.
Search-and-rescue crews arrived at the skier’s location Sunday afternoon. Authorities told KOMO-TV that the rescue effort could take all night.
Weather conditions have made a helicopter rescue impossible, the sheriff’s office said.
- Seattle’s vanishing black community
- Bellevue School District seeks to fire football coach Goncharoff over scandal
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Infections are the culprit in Alzheimer’s disease, Harvard study suggests
- 1,000 fraternity, sorority members trash Lake Shasta campsite
Most Read Stories
The avalanche was reported near Alpental, which includes expert backcountry terrain and is part of The Summit at Snoqualmie, a ski area east of Seattle.