A King County deputy prosecutor who was on paid leave while Seattle police investigated her connection to former University of Washington basketball player Doug Wrenn has resigned.

Share story

The King County deputy prosecutor who came under police investigation after the arrest of former University of Washington basketball star Doug Wrenn has resigned.

Leah Altaras, 33, handed in her resignation letter last Thursday, said Dan Donohoe, spokesman for the King County Prosecutor’s Office. She had been on paid administrative leave since May 25, when her connection to the former Husky became the focus of an investigation.

Wrenn has been charged with a misdemeanor in Seattle Municipal Court, accused of repeatedly harassing his ex-girlfriend through phone calls, text messages, photographs and emails. Approximately 500 forms of communication occurred after the couple broke up, police said.

Wrenn, whose trial is scheduled for October, has been in the King County Jail since his arrest April 16.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

Police began investigating Altaras after she was seen by a maintenance worker at Wrenn’s Bellevue condominium the night he was arrested, according to court filings. Police said phone records also revealed Altaras and Wrenn spoke several times after his arrest, at one point telling him she “has the phone.”

Detective Pam McCammon searched Altaras’ Beacon Hill home, her office at the Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent and her white 2002 Jaguar after Wrenn’s arrest. Officers seized five cellphones from Altaras, but police have never said whether any of the phones belonged to Wrenn.

Altaras has not been charged criminally. She could not be reached Wednesday for comment.

Police spokesman Sgt. Sean Whitcomb could not say whether Altaras remains under investigation.

Wrenn, who attended O’Dea High School, played at the University of Washington after transferring from Connecticut. As a UW sophomore in the 2001-02 season, he averaged 19.5 points and was voted first-team All-Pac-10 by conference coaches.

His scoring average dipped the next season under first-year coach Lorenzo Romar, and Wrenn chose to forgo his senior season to declare for the NBA draft.

Undrafted, he played several years in minor basketball leagues and overseas. Wrenn last played in South Korea in December 2007.

In February 2009, Wrenn was convicted of two counts of second-degree assault with a handgun after he threatened two people at a Bellevue intersection in March 2008. He was sentenced to a year and a day in prison.

Information from Seattle Times archives is included in this report.

Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or jensullivan@seattletimes.com. On Twitter @SeattleSullivan.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.