The Port Townsend School Board voted unanimously Monday night to retire "Redskins" as a team name and mascot for the high school.
The Port Townsend School Board voted unanimously Monday night to retire “Redskins” as a team name and mascot for the high school.
The board followed the recommendation of a study group that said the name should be retired with honor, but most of the nearly 300 people at the meeting favored keeping the name.
The Peninsula Daily News reports ( http://is.gd/etb6SM) some in the crowd yelled Redskins cheers after the vote.
Board member Ann Burkhart said the name was not intentionally disrespectful to Native American but a divisive symbol doesn’t help students.
- Amazon.com just tip of Seattle boom
- Boeing retools Renton plant for 737's big ramp-up
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Nelson Cruz drives in five, including winning run
- Aaron Hernandez: A $40 million murderer
Most Read Stories
Students and community members will select a new mascot for the Port Townsend High School.
Information from: Peninsula Daily News, http://www.peninsuladailynews.com