The Port Townsend School Board voted unanimously Monday night to retire "Redskins" as a team name and mascot for the high school.
The Port Townsend School Board voted unanimously Monday night to retire “Redskins” as a team name and mascot for the high school.
The board followed the recommendation of a study group that said the name should be retired with honor, but most of the nearly 300 people at the meeting favored keeping the name.
The Peninsula Daily News reports ( http://is.gd/etb6SM) some in the crowd yelled Redskins cheers after the vote.
Board member Ann Burkhart said the name was not intentionally disrespectful to Native American but a divisive symbol doesn’t help students.
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Legislature OKs new budget with rare tuition cuts and pay raises for teachers
- WSP: Brush fires along I-5 near Marysville were likely arson
Most Read Stories
Students and community members will select a new mascot for the Port Townsend High School.
Information from: Peninsula Daily News, http://www.peninsuladailynews.com