SPOKANE (AP) — Police say a stranger removed a 2-year-old boy from his parents’ home in Spokane and took him to his apartment in Airway Heights and then to a convenience store where a suspicious clerk called police.
Officers arrested 55-year-old Richard L. Welch Wednesday morning for investigation of kidnapping.
The boy was checked at a hospital and then returned to his parents who had reported him missing about 5:20 a.m. They did not know Welch.
Welch told police he thought the boy was a 7-year-old girl he says he found wandering and offered to help return home. He says he left the child with the store clerk.
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- Costco said to get sweet deal from credit-card companies
- Mariners lose fourth straight game
- On tour of UW station, Inslee backs $15 billion tax plan for more light rail
Most Read Stories
Police say they’ve had numerous contacts with Welch who has convictions that include domestic violence assault, criminal impersonation and indecent exposure.