Share story

Seattle police are investigating an incident early Saturday morning in which a woman says she was raped by two strangers after she walked out of a Capitol Hill restaurant.

The 21-year-old woman had left Hot Mama’s Pizza, on East Pine Street, around 2 a.m. apparently in search of a restroom, said her boyfriend, who was with her along with other friends.
The restrooms used by the late-night pizza shop are
closed around 10 p.m. because of security concerns, according to an employee.

The employee said the restrooms, when open, are complicated to get to and require walking into the building’s parking garage.

When the woman failed to return, her boyfriend and other friends searched for her.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

They went to her home on East Thomas Street and then went to R Place, the Capitol Hill nightclub across the street from Hot Mama’s Pizza that they went to earlier in the evening. Her friends even wandered up and down the streets around her apartment to see if something had happened to her.

“It’s unlike her to separate herself from the group. She’s never done that before. Whenever we go out she’s by my side or in sight. I knew she had a couple of drinks; I didn’t know how intoxicated she was,” the boyfriend said.

When the woman came home around 3 a.m. she told the group of friends waiting there for her that two strangers had yanked her into an alley and raped her, her boyfriend said. The men took her credit cards, her cellphone and her passport.

The cards have since been used at a grocery store, fast-food restaurant and a gas station, the woman’s boyfriend said in an interview.

“What she told me was that she remembers bits and pieces; it’s all hazy to her,” the boyfriend said. “She did have to use the bathroom. She was drunk. She was trying to get home to use the bathroom.”

The woman told her boyfriend that “somewhere between Boylston and Harvard, in that couple-block area, in an alley way or driveway of some sort, two males grabbed her arm and put their hands over her mouth,” he recounted.

Once in the alley, the men took turns assaulting the woman. The woman told her boyfriend’s family that she believed a third man was acting as a lookout.

The woman told police her attackers were in their 20s; the two spoke to each other in a foreign language she did not recognize.

After the assault, the woman started walking home and was met by a stranger who walked her home and made sure she got inside safely.

The woman declined to be interviewed. Her boyfriend asked to not be named to protect her identity.

The woman underwent a rape examination at Harborview Medical Center and has since moved in with her boyfriend and his parents; she’s too scared to return home, her boyfriend said.

Seattle police spokesman Jeff Kappel said the case is “assigned to sexual-assault detectives, who are actively investigating.”

Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or On Twitter @SeattleSullivan.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.