The Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma reports that Qannik (kah-NICK), an 8-year-old beluga whale, has died after suffering an unidentified infection.
An aquarium news release says Qannik died Saturday evening after showing signs of illness since March 15, including a loss of appetite and significant weight loss.
Staff treated him with antibiotics, fluids and high-calorie nutrients, but tests and consultations with veterinarians failed to determine source of the illness.
Veterinarians will perform a necropsy.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik
- Now comes the hard part for the Mariners: Hiring Jack Zduriencik’s replacement
- Mariners demote struggling catcher Mike Zunino
- Wet weekend ahead, with high winds and heavy rain expected
- Why Russell Wilson needs to water down his Recovery claims
Most Read Stories
Qannik arrived in Tacoma in June 2007 from the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.
Point Defiance has one remaining beluga, Beethoven.