The Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma reports that Qannik (kah-NICK), an 8-year-old beluga whale, has died after suffering an unidentified infection.
An aquarium news release says Qannik died Saturday evening after showing signs of illness since March 15, including a loss of appetite and significant weight loss.
Staff treated him with antibiotics, fluids and high-calorie nutrients, but tests and consultations with veterinarians failed to determine source of the illness.
Veterinarians will perform a necropsy.
- Seattle neighborhoods hire private security amid ‘blatant lawlessness’
- Man who says he feared mass shootings accidentally shoots stranger in movie theater, police say
- Why the Seahawks should reward Michael Bennett, not Kam Chancellor
- Boeing tanker passes first midair refueling test for Air Force
- ‘Combat veteran’? Records fail to back state lawmaker’s claims
Most Read Stories
Qannik arrived in Tacoma in June 2007 from the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.
Point Defiance has one remaining beluga, Beethoven.