The Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma reports that Qannik (kah-NICK), an 8-year-old beluga whale, has died after suffering an unidentified infection.
An aquarium news release says Qannik died Saturday evening after showing signs of illness since March 15, including a loss of appetite and significant weight loss.
Staff treated him with antibiotics, fluids and high-calorie nutrients, but tests and consultations with veterinarians failed to determine source of the illness.
Veterinarians will perform a necropsy.
- Amazon.com just tip of Seattle boom
- Michael Bennett not expected to attend as Seahawks begin voluntary workouts
- Boeing retools Renton plant for 737's big ramp-up
- Auburn woman sentenced to life for torturing family
- Average price of legal pot drops to about $12 a gram
Most Read Stories
Qannik arrived in Tacoma in June 2007 from the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.
Point Defiance has one remaining beluga, Beethoven.