The Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma reports that Qannik (kah-NICK), an 8-year-old beluga whale, has died after suffering an unidentified infection.
An aquarium news release says Qannik died Saturday evening after showing signs of illness since March 15, including a loss of appetite and significant weight loss.
Staff treated him with antibiotics, fluids and high-calorie nutrients, but tests and consultations with veterinarians failed to determine source of the illness.
Veterinarians will perform a necropsy.
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
Qannik arrived in Tacoma in June 2007 from the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.
Point Defiance has one remaining beluga, Beethoven.