Longtime Mariners fan Johnny Turk has brought a baseball glove to many M’s games, hoping he might catch a foul ball as a souvenir.
One finally came his way Wednesday night — and though he didn’t have his glove, he wasn’t going to let this foul ball get away.
“It looked like it was going to land right in my lap,” Turk, 25, said. “So I just put my beer cup out and snagged it.”
A Root Sports video of Turk’s accomplishment has now gone viral, and he’s fielding calls from friends and the news media, a little surprised by the attention.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner on contract talks: 'Now. That's my deadline'
- Mariners trade Mark Lowe to the Blue Jays for three minor leaguers
Most Read Stories
Once the ball landed with a big splash of amber liquid, Turk did what any good beer lover would do: With the ball still in his cup, he chugged what was left of his drink.
Turk, who recently graduated from the University of Washington with a degree in construction management, and who now works as a bartender, was at the game with his father, uncle and a cousin. He’s thinking of having the baseball cut into four pieces to share it with them.
He said if he hadn’t caught the baseball, it might have gone into the beer cup his cousin was holding next to his. “We had that ball pretty much covered. It was going to be his or mine.”
Rebecca Hale, spokeswoman for the Mariners, said Turk’s catch made for a fun fan moment. The team invited Turk to bring three companions to Thursday’s game to sit in box seats near the Mariners dugout.
Jack Broom: 206-464-2222 or email@example.com