Democratic Gov.-elect Jay Inslee defeated Republican Rob McKenna statewide by about 95,000 votes. In Seattle, Inslee's margin was far greater — about 195,000 votes.
Democratic Gov.-elect Jay Inslee can thank overwhelming support in Seattle for his victory over Republican Rob McKenna in the 2012 gubernatorial race.
A Seattle Times analysis of precinct vote returns shows Inslee carried Seattle by 78.4 to 21.4 percent over McKenna — by far his strongest showing of any city in King and Snohomish counties.
Inslee beat McKenna statewide 51.5 to 48.5 percent — a margin of about 95,000 votes. Inside Seattle, Inslee beat McKenna by 195,000 votes.
In other words, if Seattle didn’t exist, McKenna theoretically would have won the state by 100,000 votes.
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
Outside Seattle, Inslee also drew strong support in some close-in suburbs, including Shoreline, Renton, Tukwila and Burien.
McKenna, the two-term attorney general, ran up his highest King County percentages in wealthy enclaves like Clyde Hill, Medina and Hunts Point, as well as some Southeast King County cities, including Black Diamond and Enumclaw.
To have a shot at overcoming his Seattle deficit, McKenna needed to win swing areas such as Bellevue, Federal Way, Woodinville and Issaquah.
In 2004, Republican Dino Rossi won those cities on the way to a 40 percent total in King County and a famous near-win in the gubernatorial race.
But McKenna narrowly lost all those cities. He even fell short in his hometown of Bellevue, garnering 48 percent of the vote.
— Jim Brunner and Justin Mayo