Share story

The man shot by Snohomish County deputies Wednesday evening had been charged with malicious mischief and ordered to surrender his firearms after he allegedly drove his truck into his estranged wife’s garage last year, court documents say.

The man’s name was not released by the Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office on Thursday, but property and court records indicate he was 46-year-old Matthew Scott Wiese, of Lynnwood.

Wiese lived with his parents at their home in the 15200 block of Meadow Road near Martha Lake, according to court documents. An older man at the home said he did not want to talk about the shooting.

Deputies with the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office were investigating a report that the 46-year-old man had violated a District Court protection order when they located the suspect at the Meadow Road residence just after 7 p.m., according to the Snohomish Multi-Agency Response Team (SMART).

This week, save 90% on digital access.

During a confrontation, shots were fired, and the suspect was hit, said Aaron Snell, a spokesman for SMART, which is investigating the officer-involved shooting.

The suspect was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he died from his injuries, Snell said.

No officers were injured in the shooting, but, as is customary, the three deputies who discharged their firearms have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, he said.

According to court documents, Wiese was accused of violating a domestic-violence court order, which was to protect his estranged wife and daughter from him, at least three times in 2012.

On one occasion, according to court documents, he was accused of assaulting his father.

In court documents filed in Snohomish County Superior Court in November 2012, Wiese was charged with domestic-violence malicious mischief and violating a restraining order.

Prosecutors alleged that Wiese drove his truck into the garage of the home he’d once shared with his wife and child; it’s a few miles from his parents’ house.

The garage door and the car inside were buckled, prosecutors said. His estranged wife told investigating officers that Wiese’s drinking was “out of control,” court documents say.

After that incident, when deputies drove to Wiese’s parents’ house to confront him about the allegations, he was argumentative and “extremely hostile,” court documents said.

Deputies Tasered the 6-foot, 300-pound man before he was wrestled into a patrol car, court documents say.

In February, Wiese was released to an intensive inpatient alcohol- and drug-treatment center, and in April, he pleaded guilty to violating a court order and was sentenced to 173 days, all of which was time served.

In April, his estranged wife successfully sought to lift a no-contact order imposed by a Superior Court when he was charged in connection with driving into the garage.

She told the court she believed the District Court’s protection order was enough and also that she was hopeful he was “trying to get better.”

Investigators with SMART have not released any additional information about the circumstances of Wednesday’s fatal shooting, but one neighbor told Q13-TV that the deceased man may have had a gun.

“My neighbor was outside with Roman candles, shooting those off, and a police officer showed up and told him to stop, so he turned a Roman candle and pointed it at an officer,” Benjamin Smokovich told Q13.

Smokovich told the TV station he did not see what happened, but neighbors told him that when a deputy drew a gun on Wiese, the man went inside and “grabbed his own gun, and then that’s where I started to hear, ‘Put the gun down, put the gun down.’

“There was a bunch of fire exchanged, and an ambulance showed up and took him off,” he said.

Another neighbor, Zachary Schreven, told KIRO-TV he also heard deputies order the man to drop a gun. “I could hear them yelling, ‘Drop it! Get on the ground!’ Then after that, what seemed like 10 shots went off,” Schreven said

Neighbors told several local television stations that the man threw firecrackers at deputies.

Christine Clarridge: 206-464-8983 or

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.