A man was hospitalized after an explosion and fire Monday morning at an auto-repair shop in Kent.
A man was hospitalized Monday morning following an explosion and fire inside an auto-repair shop in Kent.
Kent Regional Fire Authority Capt. Kyle Ohashi said fire crews responded to Automotive Experts, in the 15300 block of Southeast 272nd Street, at 10:41 a.m. A man, believed to be an employee of the shop, was taken to a hospital with unspecified injuries, Ohashi said.
The shop’s sprinkler system put out the majority of the flames, Ohashi added.
“Currently, the biggest problem we have is the sprinkler system,” Ohashi said. “It caused a lot of water flow, so we have a huge amount of oil that is washing into the parking lot, the drains and potentially into a creek nearby.”
Most Read Stories
- Seattle home too toxic to enter sparked a bidding frenzy — now we know why VIEW
- Swedish CEO resigns in wake of Seattle Times investigation
- Jay Inslee for president? Governor’s profile is on the rise
- Seattle cop accused of doing drugs with strip-club dancer, slipping names of crime victims to Q13 anchor
- Five under-the-radar Seahawks who could make runs at a roster spot in 2017
Fire crews have placed plastic covers over the drains to stop contamination to the creek, resulting in pools of oil forming in the parking lot, Ohashi said.
“We’re using absorbent pads designed to absorb petroleum-based products,” Ohashi said.
Fire investigators later ruled the explosion was an accident but have not determined the cause.