House Transportation Committee Chair Judy Clibborn says she will seek a 10-cent-per-gallon increase to the state's gas tax.
House Transportation Committee Chair Judy Clibborn says she will seek a 10-cent-per-gallon increase to the state’s gas tax.
The proposed gas-tax hike will be a part of a broader transportation revenue package that the Mercer Island lawmaker and several of her Democratic colleagues on the House Transportation Committee plan to unveil Wednesday.
A gas tax increase would likely face its stiffest resistance in the Senate, which is controlled by Republicans and two Democrats who crossed the aisle to join them.
However, Senate Majority Leader Rodney Tom said last month that he would support a gas-tax hike.
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, hopes for playoffs are back after they slam door on Pittsburgh Steelers
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
Most Read Stories
In order to be passed into law, the tax hike would require a two-thirds majority in both the House and the Senate or be passed by a vote of the people.