The average temperature in July and August in the Seattle area this year was a record-setter, the National Weather Service said Tuesday.
The average daily temperature measured at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport from July 1 to Aug. 31 was 69.2 degrees. The previous highest average temperature for the same period was in 1967 with 68.8 degrees, the Weather Service said.
Last year’s average daily temperature for July and August was 68.7 degrees.
The average daily high temperature during the two-month span was 80 degrees. That’s just shy of the record average daily high temperature for the same period set in 1967 at 80.2 degrees, the weather service said.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- They were millionaires for 3 months, but Seattle couple didn't know it
- Marymoor Park concerts: Full lineup announced
- Capitol Hill light-rail station nearly ready for trains to rumble
- Nelson Cruz's home run in ninth inning lifts Mariners to sweep of Rays
Most Read Stories
The average low temperature in the Seattle area during July and August was 58.4 degrees, the second warmest on record.
“It’s been a warm summer. We didn’t have any extreme heat waves, but it’s been consistently above 80 degrees,” weather-service meteorologist Gary Schneider said Tuesday.
Cooler temperatures, hard rain and wind rolled into the Seattle area Tuesday. But temperatures were expected to gradually move back up, reaching the mid-70s by Friday. Summertime sunshine should return Saturday, with temperatures in the 80s, the weather service said.