Until about 5 a.m. Friday, westbound Interstate 90 will be reduced to one lane at Bellevue Way Southeast. Single-lane onramps from Bellevue Way Southeast and Interstate 405 will funnel drivers into three westbound lanes across the East Channel Bridge to Mercer Island. Bike lanes will remain open.
Backups could extend 10 miles, officials say.
In addition to recommending alternate routes, such as the Highway 520 floating bridge or Interstate 405 to Interstate 5, the state Department of Transportation is asking people to do all they can to stay off the road. Although the closures are on I-90, westbound traffic backups could increase on 520 and I-405.
The state is closing the lanes to replace expansion joints on the bridge.
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- Black Friday protesters decry materialism, racism, violence
- Holiday and Independence Bowls are potential destinations for UW and WSU
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again