Until about 5 a.m. Friday, westbound Interstate 90 will be reduced to one lane at Bellevue Way Southeast. Single-lane onramps from Bellevue Way Southeast and Interstate 405 will funnel drivers into three westbound lanes across the East Channel Bridge to Mercer Island. Bike lanes will remain open.
Backups could extend 10 miles, officials say.
In addition to recommending alternate routes, such as the Highway 520 floating bridge or Interstate 405 to Interstate 5, the state Department of Transportation is asking people to do all they can to stay off the road. Although the closures are on I-90, westbound traffic backups could increase on 520 and I-405.
The state is closing the lanes to replace expansion joints on the bridge.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- What the national media are saying about Robinson Cano and the Mariners' hot start to the season
- Man arrested in attack on Metro bus driver
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies