Until about 5 a.m. Friday, westbound Interstate 90 will be reduced to one lane at Bellevue Way Southeast. Single-lane onramps from Bellevue Way Southeast and Interstate 405 will funnel drivers into three westbound lanes across the East Channel Bridge to Mercer Island. Bike lanes will remain open.
Backups could extend 10 miles, officials say.
In addition to recommending alternate routes, such as the Highway 520 floating bridge or Interstate 405 to Interstate 5, the state Department of Transportation is asking people to do all they can to stay off the road. Although the closures are on I-90, westbound traffic backups could increase on 520 and I-405.
The state is closing the lanes to replace expansion joints on the bridge.
- Turkey’s president, Putin hurl insults after plane downed
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
- 2015 Apple Cup might be the start of something big for UW Huskies, WSU Cougars