A 24-year-old Lacey woman died and two other people were injured in an early-morning accident on Interstate 5 near Lakewood. Two lanes on northbound I-5 remain closed, causing delays, according to the Washington State Patrol.
A 24-year-old Lacey woman died and two other people were injured in an early-morning accident on Interstate 5 near Lakewood. Two lanes on northbound I-5 were closed until around 8:20 a.m., causing delays, according to the Washington State Patrol.
Around 3:30 a.m., a minivan driving north on I-5 near the exit to State Route 512, became disabled in some way and slowed down or possibly stopped completely, said Trooper Guy Gill. A box truck traveling north then hit the back of the van. The force of the collision sent the van and truck across two lanes of the freeway to the left shoulder.
The Lacey woman, who was riding in the back seat, was killed. The drive and another passenger in the van were seriously injured. They have been transported to area hospitals. The driver of the truck, a box-style commercial truck, was not injured, Gill said.
The two left lanes remained closed and traffic was backed throughout much of the early morning commute, but reopened around 8:20 a.m., accoring to Gill.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- What the national media are saying about Robinson Cano and the Mariners' hot start to the season
- Man arrested in attack on Metro bus driver
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies