Traffic troubles may abound this weekend, with the closure of southbound lanes of Interstate 5, starting tonight, and the Seahawks game on Saturday night, and the Danskin Women's Triathlon on Sunday.
Traffic reminders for the weekend:
• Southbound lanes of Interstate 405 will close again this weekend just beyond downtown Bellevue as demolition resumes on the Wilburton Tunnel.
During the shutdown, from 11 p.m. tonight to 5 a.m. Monday, the last southbound exit in Bellevue will be at Southeast Eighth Street.
Last weekend, traffic there dropped by two-thirds as drivers stayed home or took detours — but crashes on other highways snarled the network.
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Kent family mourns loss of father, two sons in Father’s Day weekend crash
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
- Seattle sets heat record for July 4
- Ticket prices soar, then drop for World Cup
Most Read Stories
A final round of southbound I-405 closures is planned next weekend. The tunnel is being removed to make room for freeway widening next year.
• The Seahawks play the Chicago Bears here at 6 p.m. Saturday. Fans driving from the south on I-5 are urged to use Highway 599 from Tukwila to Sodo, to avoid backups near Boeing Field.
The I-5 express lanes will be southbound all weekend, so traffic jams are likely for those approaching downtown from the south.
• The express lanes of the Interstate 90 floating bridge will close Sunday morning for the Danskin Women’s Triathlon.