Highway 520 between Montlake Boulevard and Interstate 405 will be closed over the weekend because of construction.
Highway 520 between Montlake Boulevard and Interstate 405 will be closed this weekend from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday.
The closure is part of the Eastside Transit and HOV project, which will widen Highway 520 to six lanes from Bellevue to Montlake. The project is expected to be completed and the widened highway open to traffic in December 2013.
During this weekend’s closure, crews will work on demolishing the western half of the overpass on Bellevue Way Northeast according to the Washington state Department of Transportation.
The floating bridge and ramps will close all weekend except the 108th Avenue Northeast onramp to eastbound Highway 520, which will remain open. The DOT said those heading to the Seattle Mariners and Seattle Sounders games and the St. Demetrios Greek festival in Montlake will need to find alternate routes.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, conduct sit-ins in downtown Seattle
- Apple Cup Game Center: UW Huskies dominate No. 20 Cougars, shut down WSU's offense in Seattle
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin help UW Huskies rout WSU Cougars in Apple Cup
- Teardown town: 1,500 small houses replaced by giants since 2012
Most Read Stories
This is what is planned:
• The Interstate 90 express lanes, normally opened eastbound all weekend, will be operated westbound from 6 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday and eastbound after 8:30 p.m.
• The Interstate 5 express lanes will be open southbound from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, adding an extra hour to the southbound traffic. They will switch to northbound from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.
• On Sunday, the I-90 express lanes will be closed from 4 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. for the Trek Triathlon. They will reopen westbound from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and then switch to eastbound by 3 p.m.
• On Sunday, the I-5 express lanes will be open southbound from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and northbound from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.
The next weekend closure is scheduled Oct. 15-17. Highway 520 will also be closed the weekends of Nov. 5-7 and 18-21.