Gov. Jay Inslee on Thursday asked President Obama to declare parts of Eastern Washington a major disaster area because of wildfires that have destroyed more than 300 homes this year.
A declaration would provide federal assistance to help families, business owners and local governments recover from the wildfires.
Inslee sent a letter to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, asking for federal aid for Chelan and Okanogan counties and the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation.
That covers the areas hardest hit by wildfires so far this summer, including the Carlton complex, the largest wildfire in state history.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, conduct sit-ins in downtown Seattle
- Apple Cup Game Center: UW Huskies dominate No. 20 Cougars, shut down WSU's offense in Seattle
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin help UW Huskies rout WSU Cougars in Apple Cup
- With Luke Falk out, Peyton Bender will start at quarterback for WSU Cougars vs UW Huskies in Apple Cup
- Teardown town: 1,500 small houses replaced by giants since 2012
Most Read Stories
An estimated 323 homes have been destroyed in Okanogan County this fire season, Inslee said.
“The people of Chelan and Okanogan counties and the Colville Reservation are resilient, but at the same time, their governments’ resources can only go so far,” Inslee said. “Federal assistance is needed.”
Of the 244 destroyed homes that authorities were able to inspect, only 42 percent were fully insured, according to Karina Shagren, spokeswoman for the state’s Military Department. Of the remaining 58 percent of homes inspected, some may be underinsured, according to Shagren.
An early assessment made by a combination of government agencies estimated that the wildfires caused about $35 million damage in Okanogan County and $22,600 in Chelan County, between July 30 and Aug. 1. The blazes also caused about $1.6 million damage to the region’s orchard crops.
Several large fires continue to burn in Washington.
The Devil’s Elbow complex on the Colville Reservation has burned across about 10.9 square miles, or 7,000 acres. Residents of about 25 homes have been told to evacuate.
Fire spokeswoman Karen Ripley said late Wednesday that no homes have burned. About 210 firefighters are attacking the flames.
The Snag Canyon wildfire near Ellensburg in Central Washington has grown to 10 square miles and is being fought by about 450 firefighters. That fire has destroyed eight homes and threatens 179 structures.
Both of the state’s U.S. senators and two House members sent a letter to Obama on Thursday asking him to grant Inslee’s disaster request. That letter was signed by Democratic U.S. Sens. Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell and Republican U.S. Reps. Doc Hastings and Dave Reichert.
“A disaster of this magnitude requires long-term federal assistance to help these communities respond, rebuild, and cope with this tragedy,” their letter said.
The disaster assistance sought by Inslee would:
• Provide funds for up to 18 months to people whose residences were heavily damaged or destroyed, so they can find temporary housing in the local area.
• Provide grants to help people deal with needs not covered by insurance and other aid programs. These include replacement of personal property, transportation, medical, dental and funeral expenses.
• Unemployment insurance payments to people who became unemployed as a result of the disaster.
• Low-interest loans for homeowners and renters to cover uninsured property losses.
In addition, Inslee is asking for federal funds to repair roads, bridges, public utilities and other public infrastructure.
Preliminary assessments show the fires caused about $35 million in such damages.
Seattle Times staff reporter Joseph O’Sullivan contributed to this report from Olympia.