A fire in a high-rise hotel in downtown Seattle was extinguished quickly Friday, and there were no injuries.

A fire in a high-rise hotel in downtown Seattle was extinguished quickly Friday, and there were no injuries.

The fire in Crowne Plaza Hotel at 1113 Sixth Avenue began in a machine room. Flames shot from the 34-floor building and were visible from Interstate 5 about 4:30 p.m.

Seattle Fire Department Deputy Chief Earl Sodeman said the fire broke out on the 24th floor in an unoccupied room.

The fire department evacuated floors 24 through 28, but many occupants fled the building when the fire alarm went off.

Fire Department spokeswoman Lt. Sue Stangl said a malfunctioning heater set off the blaze.

Damage was estimated at $5,000.