The U.S. Army Reserve will host a public ceremony Saturday to mark the closing of Fort Lawton and honor its 111-year history.

The U.S. Army Reserve will host a public ceremony Saturday to mark the closing of Fort Lawton and honor its 111-year history.

Fort Lawton was established Feb. 9, 1900, on Seattle’s Magnolia Bluff. During World War II, it was the second-largest deployment site on the West Coast. Starting in 1972, several parcels of the fort were given to Seattle and became Discovery Park.

The outdoor flag ceremony from 10 a.m. to noon will be at the 2nd Lt. Robert R. Leisy U.S. Army Reserve Center, 4570 Texas Way W. If weather is poor, the ceremony will move inside at the Daybreak Star Indian Cultural Center, 3801 W. Government Way.

Daybreak Star will be the site of a reception after the flag ceremony and the point of departure for bus tours covering the history of Fort Lawton and Discovery Park. Saturday’s events are free.