Before- and after-school programs at six Seattle elementary schools and one K-8 school will be affected by the displacements,
Child-care providers that operate at seven Seattle schools have been told they may need to relocate by the end of the school year to make room for more classrooms.
District officials said Wednesday that they anticipate that before- and after-school care programs at Adams, Daniel Bagley, Bryant, Hawthorne and Maple elementary schools and Madrona K-8 will be displaced, as well as preschool programs at Coe, Hawthorne and Maple elementary schools. The providers will need to move by July 1.
The school district said last month that it may need to reclaim up to 19 rooms that child-care programs now use. The district worked with the providers, as well as district and city officials, to decrease the number, assistant superintendent Flip Herndon said at Wednesday’s School Board meeting.
Herndon said the district is working with schools, providers and community organizations to address the challenges associated with the providers’ departures. The district hopes to find other spaces within the schools that the programs could use to keep onsite childcare.
Most Read Stories
- Family of girl snatched by sea lion lambasted for ‘reckless behavior’ WATCH
- I didn’t get it right with Seahawks’ Michael Bennett, and I apologize
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Blast at Ariana Grande concert in England kills 19 people VIEW
- What was that glowing orb that Trump touched in Saudi Arabia?
The district estimates it will need 65 more classrooms next year than it has right now, to accommodate a surging enrollment and a state requirement to reduce class sizes in early grades. Board members voted Jan. 20 to approve a plan to make that happen, but said they were only giving it preliminary approval. Board members also called for more communication between the district and the communities affected by capacity management issues.