The man killed Friday when two boats collided in Puget Sound, about a mile from Shilshole Bay Marina, was a retired 76-year-old Edmonds resident.

Share story

Donald Hatch, a 76-year-old retiree from Edmonds, was killed Friday afternoon when a yacht collided with his small boat during a fishing outing off Seattle’s Shilshole Bay.

The Coast Guard confirmed Hatch died after a 44-foot cabin cruiser collided with his 16-foot aluminum skiff.

Hatch’s family hadn’t been notified by law enforcement of the death by Saturday afternoon. “We’ve been piecing it together, the few things we do know,” said daughter-in-law Lisa Hatch. “The fact that what we’ve seen (his boat) on television, and he hasn’t shown up.”

Late Saturday she said family members received confirmation by calling the King County Medical Examiner’s Office, and also talked to Hatch’s companion on the boat, John Johnson, of Mountlake Terrace.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

She said Hatch was an avid fisherman who loved his family.

Hatch and Johnson had taken Hatch’s skiff about a mile off Shilshole on Friday.

At about 4:10 p.m., the cabin cruiser Shelmar collided with the skiff. Hatch and Johnson were thrown into the water, according to Eric Cookson, Coast Guard command duty officer. The two occupants of the Shelmar pulled the men from the water, Cookson said.

Suquamish Tribal police were refueling their boat nearby and responded to the emergency call. When they arrived on the scene Hatch wasn’t breathing and had no pulse, Cookson said.

Police performed CPR, but couldn’t revive Hatch.

Johnson was taken to Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center, and later released. His injuries were not immediately known.

“They’ve been friends forever,” fishing together and watching sports, Lisa Hatch said.

Hatch had worked at Boeing for about 35 years. Married for 52 years, he had two children and three grandchildren, she said.

“He loved computers,” she said. “After being retired, he never really left that — he kept up with modern technology.”

The Shelmar is owned by Robert Wood, who was on the boat at the time of the accident, but it’s unclear if he was operating it, Cookson said.

The Coast Guard and Seattle Harbor Patrol responded to the collision.

Seattle police spokeswoman Renee Witt wouldn’t release any further information Saturday, saying the accident is under investigation.

The vessels have been impounded.

Reporter Mike Lindblom contributed to this story. Christine Willmsen: 206-464-3261 or

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.