Essay contest: Fifth-grader Ryan Werffeli of Evergreen Academy Elementary School in Bothell was selected as one of five runners-up in the...
Fifth-grader Ryan Werffeli of Evergreen Academy Elementary School in Bothell was selected as one of five runners-up in the national Kids’ Challenge Essay Contest sponsored by the U.S. Tennis Association and Scholastic Inc. Students were asked to calculate the average serve speed of several members of the U.S. tennis team and to write an essay about how being active and part of a team helps maintain health and happiness.
U.S. Rep. Jay Inslee nominated several Eastside students for consideration to attend a service academy. David Hefner of Redmond High School and Rex Thompson of Lake Washington High School in Kirkland were nominated for the U.S. Air Force Academy; Mark Coon of Lake Washington High was nominated for the U.S. Military Academy at West Point; and Dylan Grayston, Karl Kjono and Dan Sauer of Lake Washington High were nominated for the U.S. Naval Academy. Each student was interviewed by a panel that included graduates of different academies. A nomination does not guarantee an appointment or an offer of admission, but any student applying must be nominated by a member of Congress or the president.
Compiled by Angie Ma
Most Read Stories
- Cheating hubby needs to reset attitude toward ‘affair baby’ | Dear Carolyn
- Seattle home too toxic to enter sparked a bidding frenzy — now we know why VIEW
- Washington state will resist federal crackdown on legal weed, AG Ferguson says
- T-Mobile one-ups Verizon’s new unlimited data plan; 4Q results top forecasts
- It’s been a wet (and cold) winter in Seattle — but other West Coast cities have had it worse VIEW
Kudos appears each Tuesday in the Eastside edition of The Seattle Times. E-mail items to firstname.lastname@example.org or send to Kudos, The Seattle Times Eastside News Bureau, 1200 112th Ave. N.E., Suite C-145, Bellevue, WA 98004.