During a cleanup of the small camp Thursday afternoon, someone found the body in a sleeping bag under debris, a police lieutenant said.
Kirkland police say a decomposed body has been found in a sleeping bag in a small homeless encampment in the city’s south end.
Lt. Rob Saloum said during a cleanup of the area, administered by the property’s owner, someone found the body under some debris south of downtown Thursday afternoon, near the Cross Kirkland Corridor. The exact location was unknown.
The King County Medical Examiner’s Office took custody of the body, he said. That office will determine the deceased’s manner and cause of death, as well as formally identify him or her.
“It looks like the body has been there for some time,” Saloum said. “At this point, it’s going to be their (examiner’s office) determination” to explain how the person died.
Most Read Stories
- Road rage in Kent: Subaru strikes Jeep three times
- Did you get the letter? WSU sends warning to 1 million people after hard drive with personal info is stolen
- UW professor got it right on Trump. So why is he being ignored? | Danny Westneat
- Veteran LAPD officer arrested for sex with 15-year-old cadet
- The Amazon effect: Metro adds buses to handle new flock of summer interns