During a cleanup of the small camp Thursday afternoon, someone found the body in a sleeping bag under debris, a police lieutenant said.
Kirkland police say a decomposed body has been found in a sleeping bag in a small homeless encampment in the city’s south end.
Lt. Rob Saloum said during a cleanup of the area, administered by the property’s owner, someone found the body under some debris south of downtown Thursday afternoon, near the Cross Kirkland Corridor. The exact location was unknown.
The King County Medical Examiner’s Office took custody of the body, he said. That office will determine the deceased’s manner and cause of death, as well as formally identify him or her.
“It looks like the body has been there for some time,” Saloum said. “At this point, it’s going to be their (examiner’s office) determination” to explain how the person died.
Most Read Stories
- 2017 NFL draft: Live Seahawks updates from the second and third rounds
- Seahawks trade with Falcons, 49ers to move out of first round of 2017 NFL Draft, now have 10 picks WATCH
- Billionaire Paul Allen pledges $30M toward permanent housing for Seattle’s homeless
- Starbucks' Dragon Frappuccino is new 'secret' drink craze
- Highway 99 tolling: Here's how much you could pay, according to new analysis