During a cleanup of the small camp Thursday afternoon, someone found the body in a sleeping bag under debris, a police lieutenant said.
Kirkland police say a decomposed body has been found in a sleeping bag in a small homeless encampment in the city’s south end.
Lt. Rob Saloum said during a cleanup of the area, administered by the property’s owner, someone found the body under some debris south of downtown Thursday afternoon, near the Cross Kirkland Corridor. The exact location was unknown.
The King County Medical Examiner’s Office took custody of the body, he said. That office will determine the deceased’s manner and cause of death, as well as formally identify him or her.
“It looks like the body has been there for some time,” Saloum said. “At this point, it’s going to be their (examiner’s office) determination” to explain how the person died.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle's newest apartments: 'prison cell' with no door for toilet
- This video of Marshawn Lynch narrating the 'Planet Earth II' iguana chase wins the internet
- ‘A fairly messy situation’: 2-4 inches of snow could fall Thursday in Seattle area
- Former Seahawk Ricardo Lockette stirs anger at Garfield High assembly: ‘Men take the lead’
- Boeing blindsided as Trump slams Air Force One costs