A weekly roundup of facts, figures and forecasts.
Eastside on the Web
So you got those power tools you wanted for Christmas, and you’re ready to start some major home project. If you live in Bellevue, Bothell, Issaquah, Kenmore, Kirkland, Mercer Island, Sammamish, Snoqualmie or Woodinville, you can go to www.mybuildingpermit.com to find out if the work you’re planning requires a permit. If so, you can apply online for electrical, mechanical, plumbing and re-roofing permits. There is also a wealth of related information, including construction tip sheets and inspection checklists.
Tip of the week
Unflocked Christmas trees with trunks of less than 4 inches in diameter can be recycled through regular curbside yard-waste pickup in most areas on the Eastside. They must be cut into sections less than 4 feet long, and anything that doesn’t fit into a yard-waste bin must be tied with biodegradable twine into bundles smaller than 2 feet in diameter.
Most Read Stories
- 83-year-old woman sexually assaulted in SeaTac assisted-living facility; assailant sought
- Put down that cellphone; distracted-driving law is here
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Trade analysis: Mariners deal a top prospect in Tyler O'Neill but leave their biggest hole unfilled
- Illicit skatepark on Green Lake’s Duck Island: Cops called on bowl built in bird habitat WATCH
If you don’t want to cut up your tree or if you don’t have curbside recycling, the Factoria waste-transfer station, at 13800 S.E. 32nd St. in Bellevue, accepts yard waste for recycling weekdays between 5 and 7:30 p.m. only. A 4-inch trunk diameter is still the limit, but your tree can be up to 8 feet tall.
Yard waste, Christmas trees included, cannot be recycled at any other King County waste-transfer station but will be accepted as nonrecyclable garbage for a slightly higher fee.
According to the city’s Web site, Redmond has 128 miles of paved roads and 87 traffic lights.
Compiled by Nyssa Rogers: 206-515-5625 or firstname.lastname@example.org.