Share story


Man gets 7 years in pot-grow shooting

A man who shot and killed two men who broke into his Puyallup marijuana-grow operation in December 2012 was sentenced Friday in U.S. District Court in Tacoma to seven years in prison.

Jeremy Capodanno, 36, pleaded guilty in October to manufacturing marijuana and being in possession of a firearm.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

As part of a plea agreement, Capodanno will forfeit $670,000 from the sale of his Puyallup and Kent homes, a 2008 Mercedes, a 2008 Toyota pickup and five guns seized at the crime scene: a Glock 17 9 mm semi-automatic pistol, Bushmaster XM-15 assault rifle, an Intratec Tec-9 9mm pistol, a Benelli 12 gauge shotgun, and a Professional Ordinance MDL Carbon 15.

When Capodanno initially pleaded not guilty to charges in April, he faced a 15-year mandatory-minimum sentence and as many as 40 years in prison.

News accounts at the time said Capodanno’s 7-year-old son was standing beside his father when a gunfight broke out with the intruders. Multiple rounds were fired before Capodanno killed the two men, police said.

The garage the two slain men had broken into contained about 200 plants. Police found Capodanno at the scene with a semi-automatic pistol, which he used to shoot the men. Police found additional marijuana in Capodanno’s pickup.


Truck crash sends man to hospital

A man had to be extricated from a truck after the vehicle overturned at 14th Avenue and East John Street around 5 p.m. Friday.

Emergency officials performed CPR on the driver at the scene, according to the Seattle Fire Department. The driver, a man in his 50s, was taken to Harborview Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

Bus routes 8 and 43 were rerouted in the Capitol Hill area near the accident scene.


Man escapes in waiting car

If you happen to see a young man in a red jumpsuit, waist chains and leg shackles, don’t think twice — call 911.

He is likely Windell Downs III, a 21-year-old man who escaped from police custody before noon Friday outside of Bellevue District Court. Downs was being taken from the King County Jail to the court when he took off, police said.

Police say Downs was last seen running to a car that appeared to be a blue Ford Crown Victoria.

Downs had been jailed on robbery and theft charges with bail set at $350,000.

Police say Downs is a light-skinned black man, about 6 feet tall and 174 pounds. He has a goatee and tattoos on his neck and arms.

Downs is no stranger to the criminal-justice system, according to court records.

There have been no fewer than 31 warrants issued for his arrest since 2009, and he has criminal convictions for second-degree theft, residential burglary, unlawful possession of a firearm and making false statements.

Anyone who sees him should call 911.


Homeless camp shooter sought

Police are investigating a shooting at a homeless encampment near the Chinatown International District early Friday morning.

Police were called to the greenbelt in the 300 block of Seventh Avenue South, adjacent to Interstate 5, around 12:20 a.m., police spokesman Mark Jamieson said. Witnesses said a man in his 40s entered the wooded area, a popular homeless encampment called “The Jungle,” and started yelling.

Witnesses said the man then went back to his car, pulled out a gun and started firing “at no one in particular,” Jamieson said.

After the gunfire, the man got back into his car, described by witnesses as “an older sedan,” and took off in an unknown direction, according to police reports.

“One of the shots struck a man in the leg,” Jamieson said, adding that it appeared the man was struck in an artery.

The victim, who has not been identified, was taken to Harborview Medical Center with life-threatening injuries, Jamieson said.

Times staff and news services

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.