A boat fire at the Des Moines Marina injured two people and destroyed at least six vessels Sunday night, according to South King Fire & Rescue officials.
A 28-year-old woman and a man in his 30s suffered second- and third-degree burns to their upper bodies after a flash fire erupted at about 10:15 p.m. on the boat where they were working, Assistant Chief Gordie Olson said.
The woman was in serious condition Monday. No information was available on the man’s condition.
The fire on the boat spread quickly to other vessels, Olson said. At least five additional boats were destroyed as well, and six others had minor damage. The covered dock had structural damage. Firefighters contained the fire within 30 minutes but remained at the scene until 4 a.m.
- 4 Mount Rainier High teens charged in alleged gang rape on field trip
- Donate to a charity? IRS sets rules for taking deductions
- How opera, QVC and his ‘Dirty Jobs’ gig prepared Mike Rowe for the Seattle stage
- Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79
- Examining if the Seahawks would be a good fit for Matt Forte
Most Read Stories
The cause is under investigation. Monday afternoon, investigators were retrieving the sunken vessel where the fire originated.