A boat fire at the Des Moines Marina injured two people and destroyed at least six vessels Sunday night, according to South King Fire & Rescue officials.
A 28-year-old woman and a man in his 30s suffered second- and third-degree burns to their upper bodies after a flash fire erupted at about 10:15 p.m. on the boat where they were working, Assistant Chief Gordie Olson said.
The woman was in serious condition Monday. No information was available on the man’s condition.
The fire on the boat spread quickly to other vessels, Olson said. At least five additional boats were destroyed as well, and six others had minor damage. The covered dock had structural damage. Firefighters contained the fire within 30 minutes but remained at the scene until 4 a.m.
- Hawks didn't interview witnesses to ugly hotel incident involving draft pick
- Hawks didn't interview witnesses to ugly hotel incident involving draft pick Frank Clark
- The remarkable redemption of M's prospect Jesus Montero continues in Tacoma
- Woman seeking man she kissed at marathon hears from his wife
- UW's Micah Hatchie signs with Pittsburgh Steelers as undrafted free agent
Most Read Stories
The cause is under investigation. Monday afternoon, investigators were retrieving the sunken vessel where the fire originated.