Police say the woman, a 22-year-old UW student, was attacked by her boyfriend, 21, who also attends the University of Washington. His bail was set at $1 million.
A 22-year-old University of Washington student who was severely beaten in her University District apartment Sunday has died, Seattle police said Tuesday.
Police say the woman was attacked by her boyfriend, 21, who is also a UW student. The case against him will now be investigated as a homicide, police said.
A judge Monday found probable cause to hold him pending the filing of criminal charges and set bail at $1 million, according to King County prosecutors. Formal charges are expected to be filed Wednesday.
The Seattle Times generally does not identify suspects until they are charged.
Most Read Stories
- Burlington mall shooting hits 'on a very emotional level' WATCH
- ‘My God, that’s Kimberly!’: Scientist solves perplexing mystery of identity thief Lori Ruff
- Why ‘whitesplaining’ is hurtful to people of color | Op-Ed
- Mariners suspend Steve Clevenger for remainder of season without pay after tweets on Black Lives Matter
- Mariners suspend Steve Clevenger after tweets on Black Lives Matter
A neighbor called 911 soon after 2 p.m. Sunday and reported he could hear a male yelling, “You wanna die?” and “I will kill you,” according to the statement of probable cause outlining the police case against the suspect.
Police forced their way into the apartment, and pulled a man off the woman. She was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where she died.
Her name has not been released.
According to police, the man later told detectives he and his girlfriend had taken LSD a day before the attack. Police say the suspect told detectives he became paranoid and believed his girlfriend was plotting against him before he began beating her.