The inmate was receiving treatment under law enforcement watch at the time of the shooting.
VANCOUVER, Wash. — Authorities say Clark County correctional deputies fatally shot a 66-year-old jail inmate who was receiving treatment at a hospital in Vancouver, Washington.
Clark County Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Fred Neiman told reporters that two deputies were guarding the inmate at the time of the incident inside PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center Thursday morning.
Neiman says the inmate was taken into surgery where he died.
No one else was injured.
Most Read Stories
- Sorrow at the Space Needle: Dinner at one of Seattle’s most expensive restaurants VIEW
- Officials warn of solar eclipse Armageddon: Wildfires, unprecedented traffic, GPS miscues
- Seattle's own monument to the Confederacy was erected on Capitol Hill in 1926 — and it's still there
- Experts answer your burning questions about the 2017 solar eclipse
- NY Times' editorial page editor: No apology for Sarah Palin
Nieman didn’t say exactly what led up to the shooting but said “the inmate took action which resulted in an officer involved shooting.”
Neiman says the inmate had complained of experiencing a medical issue and was taken to the hospital Wednesday morning.
Neiman says the man was being held on charges of parole violation, escape from community custody, and unlawful possession of a firearm.