The inmate was receiving treatment under law enforcement watch at the time of the shooting.
VANCOUVER, Wash. — Authorities say Clark County correctional deputies fatally shot a 66-year-old jail inmate who was receiving treatment at a hospital in Vancouver, Washington.
Clark County Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Fred Neiman told reporters that two deputies were guarding the inmate at the time of the incident inside PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center Thursday morning.
Neiman says the inmate was taken into surgery where he died.
No one else was injured.
Most Read Stories
- Elizabeth Warren: ‘The next step is single-payer’ health care
- Seattle No. 1 in home-price growth again; starter homes require half of income
- Zillow vs. McMansion Hell: Seattle company not backing off fight with blog despite PR fiasco
- Washington lawmakers reach tentative state budget deal, but no details made public
- Ohio woman set on fire by ex-boyfriend in 2015 dies
Nieman didn’t say exactly what led up to the shooting but said “the inmate took action which resulted in an officer involved shooting.”
Neiman says the inmate had complained of experiencing a medical issue and was taken to the hospital Wednesday morning.
Neiman says the man was being held on charges of parole violation, escape from community custody, and unlawful possession of a firearm.