Officials are investigating the death of a dog that was found skinned and beheaded in Port Orchard.
PORT ORCHARD — Kitsap animal control is investigating the death of a dog that was found skinned and beheaded near a Port Orchard Wal-Mart.
The Kitsap Sun reports that a Wal-Mart employee called animal control on Tuesday to report that the body of a small male dog was found in a parking lot near a wooded area near the store.
Rebekah Johnson of the Kitsap Humane Society says the dog appeared to have been dead for two to five days and had no identifying information. A necropsy found the dog was between 1 and 2 years old.
Animal-control officials say the person responsible for the dog’s death could face first-degree animal cruelty, a felony.
Most Read Stories
- Please go fishing, Washington state says after farmed Atlantic salmon escape broken net
- Seattle-based crab boat found on Bering Sea bottom; lost since February with crew of 6
- What caused Seattle-based crab boat to sink with 6 aboard? Coast Guard hoping to find out
- Police: Elderly Seattle brothers spent lifetime collecting sexual images of children, sexually abusing young girls
- Wealthy wife of Treasury secretary gets snarky on Instagram