A fire at a Kent elementary school was intentionally set, officials said, and caused damage to a classroom and common area of the building.
Someone broke into Horizon Elementary School in Kent, setting a fire early Monday that caused smoke and fire damage to a classroom and some of the common areas of the building, according to the Kent Regional Fire Authority.
No one was hurt and no arrests have been made.
Firefighters, along with Kent police and security staff from the Kent schools arrived at the school about 2:45 a.m., after an intruder alert and fire alarm were triggered, according to the fire department.
The first firefighters to arrive at the school, located in the 27600 block of 144 Ave. S.E., found smoke coming from a burning bookshelf, where children’s schoolwork had apparently been set on fire, according to fire officials.
Most Read Stories
- This video of Marshawn Lynch narrating the 'Planet Earth II' iguana chase wins the internet
- Watch: Boat called ‘Nap Tyme’ collides with Washington State Ferry near Vashon Island
- Boeing blindsided as Trump slams Air Force One costs
- ‘Panicking’ Seattle home buyers, spooked by rising interest rates, rush to buy
- Amazon unveils smart convenience store sans checkouts, cashiers WATCH
A window in the classroom had been broken.