A coyote pup that has had its head stuck in a plastic jar for more than a week is still on the loose in Rainier Beach. A weekend search failed to turn it up, but it was sighted Sunday.

Share story

A coyote with its head stuck in a plastic jar is still on the loose, said Patty Porcaro, who lives near Rainier Beach and alerted authorities when she spotted the animal over the weekend.

She said she last saw the coyote on Sunday morning, a week after the jar became affixed to the coyote’s head. Another nearby resident said the animal ran across a street and into the woods.

Porcaro said a group of animal activists showed up over the weekend to search for the coyote, but couldn’t find it. “It’s sad,” Porcaro said. “He can’t eat. He can’t drink.”

The coyote led Seattle animal-control authorities on a chase through the woods of Rainier Beach on Friday, but had enough spunk to elude its captors and disappeared into the woods, said Ann Graves, enforcement supervisor for the Seattle Animal Shelter.

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

The coyote pup is only 3 or 4 months old and somehow got its head stuck around July 17, said Porcaro, who lives on South 51st Street near Kubota Garden. Porcaro has kept an eye on a family of six coyotes in the neighborhood who love to lie in the sun and howl when the fire trucks come out. They roam along the wooded area underneath the power lines.

Porcaro described the device tormenting the pup as “like a big mayonnaise jar from Costco.”

Authorities set a trap with a cage earlier in the week, but it scared the coyotes away.

The pup with the jar on its head reappeared Friday, and Porcaro and her grandchildren tried to catch it, thinking it was weak.

Two animal-control officers tried to help, using a catch pole and nets. But the animal was faster than it appeared.

Shooting the animal with a tranquilizer is an option, according to Graves. But darting is dangerous because the creature hasn’t had food or water for so long and could die from such a dose.

The state Department of Fish and Wildlife has also been contacted, Graves said.

Last week, a bear in Tennessee was captured after its head was stuck in a plastic jar for three weeks. Wildlife officers finally shot the emaciated bear with a tranquilizer, and released it after removing the jar.

Jeff Hodson: (206) 464-2109 or jhodson@seattletimes.com. Seattle Times report Susan Gilmore contributed to this report.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.