Share story

The Renton-area couple killed allegedly by their grandson last weekend were strangled, the King County Medical Examiner’s Office said Thursday morning.

The bodies of Robert, 82, and Norma Taylor, 80, were found inside their home on Saturday by the couple’s daughter, Melanie Taylor, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office. Melanie Taylor is the mother of Michael Boysen, the man suspected of killing the elderly couple.

Boysen, 26, had been the subject of an intense manhunt until he was arrested Tuesday at a Lincoln City, Ore. motel after a nearly 10-hour standoff with police. He is recovering from what authorities are describing as “self-inflicted” injuries in a Portland hospital.

The Washington Department of Corrections is working on having Boysen extradited as soon as possible.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

Managers of the Westshore Oceanfront Suites, in Lincoln City, described Boysen as friendly, personable and paid with cash when he checked in at lunchtime Monday.

Boysen told co-manager Leah Kallimanis that he was on a road trip. They joked about his having two first names when he signed in under his full name, Michael Chadd Boysen, said Kallimanis’ husband and motel co-manager, Adrian Kallimanis

Boysen handed Kallimanis his identification, paid in cash and registered a charcoal Ford Taurus, he said.

“My wife is pretty intuitive and just thought he was a casual guy. He paid cash, had his ID. She just felt he was fine,” he said.

It wasn’t until the following morning, while watching television, that she realized the guest in room seven had allegedly killed his grandparents near Renton just three days earlier and was wanted by police.

As the couple were following their routine of watching ”Good Morning America” and going over the previous day’s guest log, Leah Kallimanis focused on a television report of a man wanted for killing his grandmother and grandfather just hours after his release from a Washington state prison.

“All of a sudden my wife said, ‘Oh my gosh, I checked that guy in yesterday.’ She looked at the registration form and the name and she said, ‘This is the guy who is on the news right now,’ ” Adrian Kallimanis said.

Why Boysen ended up in Lincoln City, a sleepy Oregon beach town, is unclear. But 10 hours after the Kallimanises dialed 911 to report the alleged killer’s presence in the room right above their office, Boysen was in custody and on his way to a hospital with what police described as self-inflicted cut wounds.

Boysen was taken into custody around 7 p.m. Tuesday after a daylong siege at the motel, which left his room a wreck. He was initially taken to a nearby hospital and then airlifted to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland.

His condition was later upgraded from critical to serious.

Boysen also used his own name on Saturday night when he checked into the Extended Stay America hotel in Tukwila, according to a release from the King County Sheriff’s Office.

A spokesman for the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office, the county where Legacy Emanuel is located, said Boysen is under the watch of the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office in connection with the King County homicides.

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office said there are no plans to charge Boysen in connection with any crimes in Oregon stemming from his standoff with police.

Once Boysen has recovered from his injuries, he will be booked into the county jail and face a judge for an extradition hearing.

On Wednesday, the Washington state Department of Corrections (DOC) was preparing for his extradition from Oregon.

Once that happens, Donta Harper, DOC field administrator for King County, said Boysen will be taken to the Washington Corrections Center in Shelton to serve a minimum of 30 days in prison for violating the terms of his probation. That violation stems from Boysen’s failure to report for substance-abuse treatment Monday after his release from prison, he said.

Boysen then will be turned over to King County for prosecution, Harper said.

It’s unclear when Boysen would face charges in connection with the deaths of his grandparents. Mark Larson, chief criminal deputy at the King County Prosecutor’s Office, said there was no plan to charge Boysen on Wednesday.

Boysen’s grandparents had picked up Boysen from the Monroe Corrections Complex on Friday after he had served nine months of a 16-month sentence for a 2012 attempted residential-burglary conviction, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office.

The couple took Boysen to check in with his probation officer, then hosted a welcome-back party attended by numerous other relatives at their home. Boysen is suspected of killing his grandparents sometime between 9 p.m. Friday and noon Saturday and leaving in their red 2001 Chrysler 300.

That car was found Tuesday in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Salem, Ore., according to the King County Sheriff’s Office release. Oregon detectives say Boysen paid cash for the Ford Taurus at a used-car dealer nearby, the release said.

King County sheriff John Urquhart said Monday that Boysen had conducted Web searches in an apparent attempt to obtain firearms and should be considered armed and extremely dangerous.

The motive for the slayings is unknown.

Melanie Taylor, Boysen’s mother, who works at the Kent Fire Department, is on personal leave and declining media interviews, a colleague said Wednesday. However, the family was expected to release a statement through the Sheriff’s Office on Thursday.

On Tuesday morning, after the Kallimanises called Lincoln City police, the motel managers and their housekeeping staff quietly evacuated the other 14 occupied rooms.

Taking special care not to alert Boysen, the motel staff knocked on doors. They pretended to need access for housekeeping purposes but told guests there was an emergency and that they had to leave.

Many guests, Adrian Kallimanis said, were forced to leave without coats or other necessities.

“It was very scary. We were worried he would hear,” he said.

By 9:30 a.m., with Boysen as the motel’s only guest, police moved in and started trying to contact him through a loudspeaker, Adrian Kallimanis said.

Adrian Kallimanis stood by the entire day, regularly updating motel owner Kent Landers by phone.

Lincoln City police Chief Keith Kilian said no shots were fired during the siege. Officers used a water-cannon device to break a window and try to force open the door to Boysen’s room.

Police entered Boysen’s room after a video-equipped robot caught footage of Boysen falling to the floor.

The motel managers were able to enter their motel again just before 9 p.m. Tuesday. They were stunned by the amount of damage left behind.

Boysen’s room looked like a war zone — the furniture was destroyed, the television was “blown up,” carpet was stripped out, the windows were shattered and there was a 4-foot hole in the wall, Adrian Kallimanis said. Other nearby rooms were also damaged.

A nine-person cleanup crew was called in to get things back in order for the handful of remaining guests.

Adrian Kallimanis said they expect to repair the damage in time for spring break at the end of the month.

On Wednesday, Adrian Kallimanis didn’t seem too shaken up about what happened at the motel. He was focused on the cleanup.

“We’re big-city people, we’re both from Portland and we lived in Las Vegas, so we’ve seen our share of crime,” he said. “We’re glad a bad person was taken away the way he was.”

Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or On Twitter @SeattleSullivan.

Information from Seattle Times archives is included in this report.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.