A 20-year-old sex offender allegedly posed as a teenage girl and sent sexually explicit text messages to six boys, two of whom sent naked pictures of themselves to the man, according to charges filed in King County Superior Court.
A 20-year-old sex offender allegedly posed as a teenage girl and sent sexually explicit text messages to six boys, two of whom sent the man pictures of themselves, according to charges filed in King County Superior Court.
Pedro Pablo Navarro was charged last week with six counts of communicating with a minor for immoral purposes and two counts of extortion for allegedly threatening to burn down one boy’s house and telling another boy “she” was going to tell her FBI-agent father that the boy had threatened her, the papers say.
Five of the alleged victims are students at McClure Middle School in Seattle, while the sixth boy lives in Burien.
Seattle police suspect that Navarro — allegedly using the alias “Samantha” — had similar contact with 10 other boys, charging papers say.
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
In 2008, Navarro, then 17, was convicted in Idaho of lewd conduct with a 13-year-old boy, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office’s sex-offender registry. He is being held in the King County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.
McClure Middle School Principal Sarah Prichett sent a letter to parents Wednesday about the police investigation of the case and encouraged them to contact police if their children had received text messages from “Samantha.”
“Lastly, we would like to remind all parents to have discussions with their children about social media and sharing of private information and photographs,” Prichett wrote.
Navarro does not have any known connection to Seattle Public Schools, said district spokeswoman Teresa Wippel.
“This is something that we take very seriously,” she said. “The safety and security of our students is always our primary concern.”
According to charging documents, the Burien boy was allegedly the first victim. The 14-year-old’s father discovered his son had sent a photo of himself naked to two girls named Kimberly and Haley, the papers say. The father used Google to search for the phone number where his son had sent the photo and found a Craigslist ad for someone trying to sell a 1986 Cadillac Eldorado, they say.
The boy later told a King County sheriff’s detective that he received a text in early January from someone named Kimberly, who claimed to be 12 and offered to send nude pictures and perform a sex act, charging papers say. After a few weeks, the texts tapered off, but the boy was then contacted from a different number by a 13-year-old girl who claimed her name was Haley. Similarities in the messages made the boy suspect the texts came from the same person.
“The person continued sending sexually explicit text messages, requesting they meet, requesting naked pictures and threatening to burn (the boy’s) house down if he refused,” charging papers say.
The boy sent Kimberly an explicit photo of himself “to try and get the harassment to end,” according to charging papers.
On Feb. 5, a sheriff’s deputy asked Navarro, who was driving a 1986 Cadillac Eldorado, to leave the Burien Skate Park, though the charging documents don’t say why.
The following day, a 13-year-old Seattle boy — who was apparently trying to boost his number of “friends” on Facebook — sent Navarro a friend request after noticing he and Navarro had mutual friends on the site, charging papers say.
Navarro accepted the request and allegedly suggested the boy exchange texts with his sister, Samantha. The boy began receiving texts “at all hours of the day” from Samantha, who offered a sex act and suggested the boy allow her brother to fondle him and videotape the encounter, the charging papers say.
After the boy insisted he wasn’t interested, Samantha allegedly threatened to tell her dad, an FBI agent, or get her brother, a gang member, to beat the boy up, the papers say.
The boy became scared and sent Samantha the phone numbers of six of his friends from McClure Middle School on Feb. 26, charging papers say. The next morning at school, the boy and two of his classmates realized Samantha was texting all of them and the boy told his mother, who contacted police, the papers say.
Detectives with the Seattle Police Department’s Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force interviewed five alleged victims from McClure, who had all received sexually explicit texts from Samantha, and found that at least one of them had sent a photo of his genitals to Samantha, charging papers say.
On March 7, the detective investigating the case involving the Burien boy and a Seattle police detective interviewed Navarro at the sheriff’s Burien precinct and he allegedly admitted he was Samantha and had engaged in sexually explicit text conversations with the boys, who are all between the ages of 12 and 14, charging papers say.
Seattle Times education reporter Brian M. Rosenthal contributed to this report.
Sara Jean Green: 206-515-5654 or firstname.lastname@example.org