Paulette Jacklin hasn't gotten much sleep since the slayings of Judy Anderson and five others on Christmas Eve. "Every time I lay down and...

Share story

CARNATION — Paulette Jacklin hasn’t gotten much sleep since the slayings of Judy Anderson and five others on Christmas Eve.

“Every time I lay down and close my eyes, her face is the first face in my head. I haven’t slept more than two to three hours a night,” said Jacklin, who knew Anderson, a mail carrier, for 10 years. Jacklin, a school custodian, often saw Anderson on her rounds at school or at the post office, where Jacklin had a cleaning contract.

Jacklin said she’s not the only one having trouble coping. People she knows and works with around town have been closely tracking the news and talking constantly about the slayings. It’s difficult to concentrate on work. “Right now, nobody is functioning,” she said.

Judy Anderson, 61, was shot to death along with her husband, Wayne, 60, her son, Scott, and his wife, Erica, both 32, and their children, 5-year-old Olivia and 3-year-old Nathan.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

Judy and Wayne’s daughter, Michele Anderson, and her boyfriend, Joseph McEnroe, were each charged with six counts of aggravated first-degree murder on Friday.

Carnation is a small, close-knit town. It’s hard to find people who didn’t know the family that was killed. Many of them didn’t want to discuss what happened. “I can’t talk without starting to cry,” said one woman sitting with her dog outside a Starbucks.

Judy Anderson was particularly well-known in the area because she delivered mail to about 500 customers. “She was my mail lady for 11 years. Everybody knew her between here and Duvall,” said Jeannie Hilburn, of Carnation.

Hilburn said this kind of tragedy often brings communities closer together, but “it’s going to take a while” for the town to recover.

Local residents have started an impromptu memorial on the driveway leading to the older victims’ home. By Saturday afternoon there were more than a dozen flower arrangements and several balloons piled to one side.

Sylvia Villanueva and her son, Jonathan, drove from Renton to pay their respects and drop off a purple stuffed dog. “I can’t even understand how this could happen,” she said.

A police cruiser blocked the road not far from the memorial. Police used a loudspeaker to turn back anyone who tried to venture past the flowers.

Earlier in the day, a tow truck hauled away a white Dodge Dakota four-wheel-drive truck from the murder scene.

Mark Bennett, a friend of the victims, said Mary Victoria Anderson, the sibling who wasn’t home when her family was killed, was staying with relatives. “She’s in seclusion and has left the area,” he said.

Sheriff’s deputies had not yet let Anderson or Bennett into the house, or released the bodies. Bennett said he did not think there would be an official memorial service for the family until someone had scoured the house for a will or other documents that might indicate what family members wanted done with their remains.

Andrew Garber: 360-943-9882 or

The Associated Press and Seattle Times reporter Craig Welch contributed to this story.

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.