The two men found dead in a Renton home on Monday may have been overcome by carbon monoxide after leaving a car running in a closed garage, police said Tuesday.

Share story

The two men found dead in a Renton home Monday may have been overcome by carbon monoxide after leaving a car running in a closed garage, police said Tuesday.

The victims were a 66-year-old man who lived at the home and a 28-year-old friend who was visiting, Renton police said. The older man’s dog also died.

It appears the older man was running his car with the garage door down to charge the battery, police said. The car was seldom used and the man was known to routinely charge the battery by running the car in the enclosed garage.

When fire and police officers arrived, they detected an extremely high level of carbon monoxide. In addition, the car was in the garage and the key was in the ignition in the “run” position, police said.

The car was no longer running and the battery was dead.

Police said it appeared the car had shut down when it ran out of gas.

The official time and cause of death will be determined by the King County Medical Examiner’s Office.