Share story

A King County District Court judge found probable cause on Monday to hold a 19-year-old South Seattle man on investigation of first-degree assault and first-degree attempted murder after an early-morning shooting on Sunday that critically wounded a second 19-year-old man in Capitol Hill.

Judge Arthur Chapman set the man’s bail at $500,000 but expressed concern about the man being identified and barred the media from photographing the man’s face.

According to Senior Deputy Prosecutor Steven Kim, the injured man suffered a gunshot wound to the chest and is in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center. At the time of the shooting, Kim said police were not sure whether the man would survive.

Five young men, who were in court at the King County Jail to support the suspect, said outside the courtroom that the suspect and the wounded man are good friends who had attended another friend’s college-graduation party on Saturday night, then drove to Capitol Hill together. The five men asked not to be named.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

They said the wounded man underwent surgery on Sunday and was considered to be in stable condition.

The probable-cause statement outlining the police case against the 19-year-old suspect says officers responded to a shots-fired call at 10th Avenue and Pine Street at 3 a.m. Sunday. They arrived and found the wounded man lying in the street, in front of a white Cadillac, the statement says.

One witness, who was across the street when he heard the gunshots, watched the suspect get out of the Cadillac and head north on foot.

The witness followed the suspect, pointing out his direction to officers, who arrested the 19-year-old at the west end of Cal Anderson Park, the statement says.

Police say the man admitted his .40-caliber handgun was used in the shooting, but in a later interview with detectives, he said someone else had shot his friend and that he picked up a discarded handgun before leaving the area, according to the statement.

Officers found .40-caliber shell casings at the scene, it says.

A second witness told officers he overhead the suspect tell someone on his cellphone something to the effect of, “I didn’t mean to do it,” as the man walked through an alley just before he was arrested, according to the statement.

A third witness began recording a video on his cellphone immediately after the shots were fired, which shows the suspect exiting the Cadillac without picking up anything off the ground, it says.

King County prosecutors are expected to file formal charges by Wednesday.

Sara Jean Green: 206-515-5654 or

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.