As far as Canada is concerned, fugitive convicted sex-offender Michael Sean Stanley is a U.S. problem now.
Authorities in Alberta decided over the weekend that they will not seek extradition of Stanley, a 48-year-old Edmonton man who crossed into the U.S. at the Blaine border crossing a few days after cutting a monitoring bracelet off his ankle and fleeing community custody in Edmonton.
Canadian authorities say Stanley is an untreated violent sex offender with a “horrendous record” and a high risk of reoffending.
U.S. authorities say that without an extradition request and a reciprocal warrant out of Canada, there’s little they can do because Stanley is not wanted for any crime in the U.S.
- Unusual motel sting casts wide net on illicit activity
- Amanda Knox murder conviction overturned by Italy high court
- Priced out? Growing numbers appear to be fleeing King County
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
Most Read Stories
The U.S. Marshals Service and local law-enforcement officials say Stanley entered the country legally earlier this month after presenting himself to U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents at the Blaine crossing. Stanley is a U.S. citizen.
Details of the crossing have been elusive because the regional spokesman for Customs has been on furlough due to the partial government shutdown. However, when Stanley crossed into the U.S., he was wanted on a Canada-wide warrant issued after he cut off the monitoring bracelet on Oct. 1.
Stanley’s whereabouts have not been known. However, Edmonton Police Services spokeswoman Patrycia Thenu said her department has been “sharing information with Seattle police” and several federal law-enforcement agencies “to ensure the agencies have all the information necessary to help minimize the potential risk that Mr. Stanley may pose to their communities.”
Seattle police spokesman Sgt. Sean Whitcomb said Monday the department is aware “only that Stanley had fled Canada, headed south.”
Stanley was on home release in Edmonton after serving a 32-month sentence for assault and forcible confinement of two boys, ages 9 and 13, in 2004. He initially had been charged with sexual assault in that case.
Two weeks ago, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police locked down schools in several west-central Saskatchewan communities after Stanley’s vehicle was found in the area.
Stanley has targeted adults and children, according to Canadian parole documents obtained by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).
In 1987, he broke into the apartment of an 82-year-old Lethbridge woman who used a wheelchair and raped her. The same night, he was discovered in another apartment with two young girls, including a 15-month-old child who had been undressed, the CBC reported Monday.
In 2000, Stanley was charged with exposing himself to some children, the CBC reported.
He also was charged with sexually assaulting a young girl in 2004, but according to the CBC the girl delayed reporting the incident and eventually refused to testify because she was afraid of Stanley.
He went to prison again in 2006 after luring two mentally impaired boys to an Edmonton apartment, where he held them and blew crack smoke in their faces. Parole documents indicate he initially had been charged with sexual abuse in that case.
Stanley also has a long criminal history in Washington state and has been named in cases in Okanogan, Chelan, Grant, Lincoln, Clark and King counties, according to court records.
On Saturday, Alberta’s Crown Prosecution Service issued a statement saying that the charges of escape from community confinement that he’s now facing in Canada don’t warrant extradition. Officials warned him, however, that he will be arrested if he goes back to Canada.
Information from The Associated Press is included in this report. Mike Carter: firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-464-3706