At least a dozen people were arrested Saturday as demonstrators rallied to protest military-cargo shipments at Olympia's port. Saturday's actions by police...

Share story


At least a dozen people were arrested Saturday as demonstrators rallied to protest military-cargo shipments at Olympia’s port.

Saturday’s actions by police came one day after protesters halted two trucks from removing military equipment that had been unloaded from a ship coming from Iraq. The equipment was bound for Fort Lewis.

Protesters blocked traffic downtown about noon by jumping in front of large trucks with cargo containers.

This week, save 90% on digital access.

Olympia police in riot gear moved in quickly, spraying pepper spray in the faces of the protesters, pushing them with their batons and dragging them away.

The protest was part of a weeklong series of demonstrations by the group Olympia Port Militarization Resistance. They have been protesting the use of the port by the USNS Brittin, which arrived Monday.


Bryant-Fisken Port race still close

A close race for a seat on the Port of Seattle commission got a little closer Saturday.

Incumbent Alec Fisken won 50.5 percent of the votes counted Saturday by the King County elections office, but still trails challenger Bill Bryant by 5,788 votes.

Bryant has 50.87 percent, Fisken 48.76 percent in the contest for position 5.

The elections office counted about 35,500 ballots Saturday. More results will be released today, a spokeswoman said.


11,000 lose power when line fails

More than 11,000 Seattle City Light customers lost power late Saturday afternoon due to downed power lines, the utility said.

By 7 p.m., electric service had been restored to all but 657 customers, City Light spokeswoman Connie McDougall said.

The outage affected large parts of Capitol Hill, Madrona and the Central Area. It occurred because a high-voltage feeder line — which transmits power to smaller residential lines — went down for unknown reasons, McDougall said.

Randle, Lewis County

Missing hunter is found dead

The body of a hunter reported missing since Thursday afternoon in Lewis County has been found, a Sheriff’s Office news release said.

Claire P. Heun, 77, of Lynnwood, was found about a mile from where he was last seen by his son, who accompanied him on a hunting trip.

Heun’s son reported he last saw his father at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday.

Investigators are looking into the death, but foul play does not appear to be a factor.

Vancouver, Wash.

Ex-teacher found to have child porn

A former elementary-school teacher is headed to prison for his second sex offense.

Thomas H. Moody, 56, will be sentenced Dec. 14, said Clark County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Alan Harvey.

Harvey said Moody, who stopped teaching in 2004 when he was charged with inappropriately touching students, agreed to an 18-month term.

Moody was taken into custody Thursday after he pleaded guilty to one count of possession of depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct. He was charged after he failed a polygraph test in August.

Moody worked for the Battle Ground School District from 1976 until his conviction in 2005.

In March 2004, he was working at Captain Strong Elementary School when complaints were made about him to police and he was placed on paid administrative leave.

In October 2005 he pleaded guilty to six counts of communicating with minors for immoral purposes. He was sentenced to six months in jail and had to surrender his teaching certificate.

Medford, Ore.

Parents indicted in son’s injury

A couple whose 6-year-old son fractured his skull after his father dropped him off at a skateboard park have been indicted on felony criminal-mistreatment charges.

Daniel R. Willis, 44, and June A. Willis, 49, also were charged with child neglect, a misdemeanor, in the October incident.

Daniel Willis said he and his wife were stunned and frustrated by the charges. He said they had no idea it was illegal to leave the boy and his 9-year-old brother alone at Bear Creek Skate Park.

Willis said that when both parents are busy with work, they often leave the boys alone at the skatepark for a few hours.

Oregon law does not set a minimum age for leaving children unsupervised. But if children are younger than 10, prosecutors have discretion to decide whether leaving them alone is criminal conduct.

Seattle Times staff and The Associated Press

Custom-curated news highlights, delivered weekday mornings.