The 91-year-old man suspected of shooting his caregiver at an assisted-living facility in University Place, Pierce, County, has been charged with second-degree murder.
The 91-year-old man suspected of shooting his caregiver at a University Place, Pierce County, assisted-living facility has been charged with second-degree murder.
Joe Conway Elder was charged in Pierce County Superior Court today. Police believe Elder killed Ramoncito Barro, a 38-year-old father of five, in his home Tuesday.
Barro, who worked part time at the facility owned by his parents, was preparing to take Elder to a medical appointment when Elder pulled out a gun and opened fire, said Ed Troyer, Pierce County sheriff’s spokesman.
Barro was dead upon arrival at St. Joseph Medical Center in Tacoma, Troyer said.
- Rolled semi spills 14 million bees on I-5 near Lynnwood
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Shawn Kemp to co-host party celebrating Thunder missing playoffs
- Rolled semi spills load of bees at I-5 and I-405 interchange
Most Read Stories
The small facility, in the 5800 block of 62nd Street West, houses five people including Elder. A worker at the home said Elder had never threatened patients or staff.
Elder, who is being held at Pierce County Jail, is to appear in court Oct. 2 for a competency hearing.