Police broke up a massive street fight that left one man with a gunshot wound and a woman assaulted on New Year’s Day after a party at a Bremerton motel.
In all, police arrested three people during the incident that started about 1:40 a.m., said Bremerton Police Lt. Pete Fisher.
Police were called to the Baymont Inn in downtown Bremerton, near the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, on a report first of a large fight, then a shooting while officers were en route.
When they arrived at the motel, hundreds of people were in the area, according to police.
- WWU cancels classes as social-media hate speech is investigated
- Luke Falk likely has concussion but doing ‘real well’
- What national media are saying about Thomas Rawls, Seattle’s playoff hopes
- Seahawks’ Cary Williams makes no excuses after being benched
- Seahawks bringing back RB Bryce Brown, adding depth with Marshawn Lynch's situation uncertain
Most Read Stories
Police soon found the injured man and woman. They issued a ”countywide request for assistance due to the size of the crowd and the fact that many in the crowd were aggressive and hostile.”
Officers from most police agencies in Kitsap County responded to the scene.
While Bremerton fire personnel treated the victims, several small fights broke out, police reported. Police arrested two people for interfering with officers while they tried to help the gunshot victim.
When an officer responding to the melee tried to stop a vehicle leaving the shooting, the vehicle took off, according to police.
The fleeing vehicle crashed and the driver ran away. A Bremerton police K-9 unit found the man.
He was arrested and booked into Kitsap County Jail on investigation of felony eluding and DUI.